Beginning Essentials Part 1: Getting Started
This course will give you the first section of my full course, Essentials of Beginner Watercolor.
Part 1 is a great series of beginner lessons to take if your goal is to see what is involved with starting watercolor and how the medium works before taking your knowledge and skills to the next level.
We begin this section by focusing on essential techniques, which I demonstrate in ways that make them easy for you to learn — even if you’ve never picked up a paintbrush before!
In this group of lessons, you will learn:
- Supplies for beginners—without breaking the bank
- Basic color theory and the unique properties of watercolor pigment
- Skills and techniques for putting down color on paper
- Watercolor challenges for a beginner
- Twelve fun watercolor textures, and how and when to use them in an abstract painting
- Also, you’ll get a free course on understanding light values in painting
Watch the lessons in Part 1 as often as you like to absorb as much information as possible.
If you think you’re hooked, take the next steps:
- Part II will give you more information and skills to bring you to the next level. Plus, you will learn how to paint popular subject matter like trees, rocks, and skies.
- Part III puts all of the theory, skill work, and technique into practice by helping you complete three different paintings.
Watercolor instruction is a wonderful gift to give yourself. Learn this creative, beautiful form of self-expression in the privacy and comfort of your own home! With me as your guide, you will soon be creating works of art all on your own.
I look forward to painting with you!
"I've learned so much about the principals of color, value, design, and many many techniques in water color painting. Jayne explains clearly and precisely and then demonstrates in an easy to follow manner. I've been able to frame some of my work. I highly recommend taking Jayne's on line classes to see what you can create with beautiful watercolor paints and paper! "
"Jayne is such a fabulous teacher and artist. I have learned so much and I thank you"
As a native of San Diego and graduate of San Diego State University, I have been painting and exhibiting my work for more than 30 years throughout Southern California. The bold lines, fluid shapes, and my color palette are influenced by my father’s paintings and my degree in graphic design.
My work is inspired by the idea of capturing that emotional and visceral response we feel when we see a beautiful but fleeting image—a moment of color, intensity, movement, and expression that stays with us long after.
While known for my representational and abstract work, my love is for portraits, and I have been honored with awards that include Best in Show for Cowboy at the San Dieguito Off Track Gallery and the Logan Award and Golden Award for Maasai Boy at the San Diego Watercolor Society’s 34th International Show.
For over a decade, I have been running workshops and juried watercolor shows in the San Diego area while teaching all levels of watercolor painting at a local community college and in my studio in Encinitas, CA. I find tremendous satisfaction in teaching and love seeing my students, improve, gain confidence, and express themselves through watercolor.